After six weeks of being on the road, a few things keep coming to my mind. Here they are, in no particular order.
- Coolest town name ever: Castle Danger, MN. Nothing else even comes close.
- Camping in cold rain is not as much fun as camping in warm sun.
- Many nights by the campfire have been ruined by swirling smoke. It’s annoying to have to move every couple of minutes. The solution? The Campfire Lazy Judy. I envision this as a large collapsible ring of some type that has a center hole large enough to fit over a 4′ fire ring. The edges will be wide enough to accommodate a camp chair. When the smoke swirls your way, simply rotate the Lazy Judy (your foot against the edge of the fire pit) until your chair is no longer in the line of smoke. No more disruptive getting up and running around! I need some engineering work, and then a Kickstarter campaign. Sounds good, right?
- We have some friends in Arizona who are from Minnesota. They’ve used the phrase “Minnesota Nice” in conversation. Now, I know what they’re talking about. Should be “Minnesota Super Nice”. People here are amazing.
- Ashland, Wisconsin has the worst laundromat I’ve ever been in. Best is the Loads of Fun in Marquette, MI. There’s one in Beaver Falls, MN called The Mother Load. That makes me smile.
- Hope I never get tired of riding my bike. They are essential for us. But, I am concerned that we’ve done so much casual riding that I may never be able to hop on my road bike and really roll. What if my top speed now is 12mph?
- On the other hand, I see able-bodied folks in campgrounds who DRIVE to the bathrooms. Seriously?
- For six weeks, we’ve seen Lake Superior every day. It has so many faces and shorelines. Here are a few. I’m really going to miss this.
- Favorite town (so far): Duluth, MN. Hands down winner, for me.
- Favorite campsite: Bay View Campground in Hiawatha State Forest, MI
- Worst campsite: Lakehead Marina, Duluth. But…location, location…..
- When you’re traveling, seek out local food purveyors. Sixth Street Market in Ashland has the best brats I’ve ever had. Heard their ad on the radio….
- Don’t think I would mind if I never had TV again. But, I get really cranky when we’re in a location with no radio stations, and no cell service.
- The bed in the Fireball is 70″ x 50″ (slightly smaller than a standard double bed). John is shoehorned into one half. Jezzy gets about 28% of my half. My next dog will sleep on the floor!
- This town has 181 residents, and one is a cop? A bit of overkill, perhaps?
- I get a kick out of sending postcards to John’s folks.
- John is the Dutch Oven King.
As we sat around the campfire last night, John looked over at me and said, “This really is the life, isn’t it?” Agreed.